Tuesday 11 November 2014

Sisterhood of the Travelling Hat: Join us!

I would like you to introduce you to the little hat that will travel the world!


As per the plan I announced previously, she's going to visit interested hat lovers across the globe, be worn by stylish ladies in different outfits, and have lots of photos taken of her.


I went for a tilt hat style because they are flattering, easy to wear and somewhat versatile in terms of suitable eras (compared to a cloche or whimsy, for example). I was aiming for 1940s in my inspiration, but I think it could work with a range of periods, and indeed modern or "vintage fusion".


The body is blocked on a vintage hat block I picked up recently, from black thermofelt. Although a very modern invention, thermofelt is lighter, and will return to its blocked shape more easily than regular millinery felt, making it well suited to travel.


The attachment is of a figure eight style, which is easy and comfortable to wear, and stays securely on the head without the need for hat pins. It also makes the hat suitable for any head size and doesn't require a particular length or style of hair.

(The figure eight will sit better on real heads than it does on the mannequin, unless you also have solid bumpy hair.)


The hat is trimmed with white velvet berries (that I made) and blue velvet leaves (that I purchased).


The first five photos show different views of the way I designed the hat to be worn, but the angles and orientation can easily be changed to suit the wearer. Worn further to the side, as above and below, makes a subtle change from some angles...


...but a significant one from other angles.


I prefer it tilted above the right eye, but it could also go the other way if it works better that way for some people (most people do have a natural preference, and hair parts have a big impact too).


Critics so far rate this hat as intriguing!

I know many people expressed their interest in the previous post, but if you could comment again with your email address, or email me directly at tanithrowandesigns@gmail.com, that would be awesome. Also, please feel free to pass this on to other people you know that might be interested. The more the merrier, I'm sure!

Open to everyone everywhere. So far I know there was interest from the USA, Canada, and the UK, as well as Australia, and I'd love to have as many interesting places on the list as possible!

I plan to send it to the northern hemisphere first to catch wintery weather as much as possible (I know I should have gotten started earlier!) before returning here in time for our winter.

Please note that there is a lot going on in my life at the moment and I may take longer than usual to respond to comments or emails, but I will, I promise!

Update: The hat has now left for Europe and then on to North America, so I have closed new entries for those places. Since it will be back in Australia last, I am still happy to accept interest from fellow Aussies (or perhaps New Zealand...), so feel free to get in touch still if you are a local :)
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I will be in when this returns to Aus; I have several blue dresses this could be worn with...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh tanith, that hat is GORGEOUS! I am totally on board for this. I think I'll make an outfit to go with it now! =D (even though SoCal is still not having very wintery weather...)

    okamishoujo -at- gmail -dot- com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have a chance to wear that hat! My email is astudyinvintage@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tanith, your new creation is stunning! Gorgeous hat :)
    I'm in, and like this will come to Portugal too, more countries, more fun! ;o)

    (missbeta.knits@gmail.com)

    Miss Beta

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's an amazing hat! Perfect for an adventure around the world! I'll sign up, but I don't know how well I'll do with letting go again... It's too, too pretty!

    bonita.vear{at}gmail.com


    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful hat. I would love a chance to try it. My email is handmadebykate-em@hotmail.co.uk .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in, that hat is absolutely stunning and I am already imagining different outfits to put together for it. You are so truly talented and it would be an honor to be a part of something so imaginative and collective in nature. My email is sheknitsinpearls@gmail.com

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me in, pretty please. This is such a fun, marvelous idea! I can't wait to see all the places your tremendously beautiful hat lands before it makes its way back to you in Australia.

    ♥ Jessica (chronicallyvintage@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope I am not too late, I posted on your other post. Please count me in!!
    {seannaacey {at} outlook {dot} com}

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to be apart of this project. Such a grand hat! dividingvintagemoments@yahoo.com in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes please! I'd love to take her on a tour of London and I have just purchased the perfect black 40s suit for her to make friends with! Jeni.x (yesterdaygirl@hotmail.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow that hat is amazing! wow wow wow! and the kitty cat photo is so cute..love it :) Can't wait to see pics of it appear on other blogs. Let the fun begin!

    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yaaaaaaassss!
    jessica (dot) ebacher at gmail (dot) com.
    That hat looks super freaking cool! I love that it's both versatile and distinctive, which I think makes it perfect for a project like this. The kitty picture is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this sounds fun. And the har it amazing. I live in Norway, it would be fun to sport this some time during the winter:-) -Sunniva(nemi_jinta@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig